Wood Wedding Band Guide - Durability & Bentwood vs. Inlay
Do Wood Bands Make Good
What This Guide Will Cover
- The Difference Between Wood Inlay Rings and Bentwood Rings
- The Durability Of Wood Inlay Rings and Bentwood Rings
Yes, wood rings make beautiful and unique wedding bands but they are not right for everyone. Out of the 100's of emails we receive weekly, the most frequently asked question we receive is "How durable are wooden rings?" So, we decided to create a guide that will hopefully answer these questions.
The Difference Between Wood Inlay Rings and Bentwood Rings
The easiest way to give the difference of a bentwood ring vs. wooden inlay rings is by simply giving the definition of both.
The Definition Of A Wood Inlay Ring: A ring that is comprised of both metal material and wood. The Wood is inlaid in the metal.
After the wood strip is added a resin is applied over the wood. A resin is a special jewelry epoxy that covers the wood. The resin makes the wood essentially waterproof and very durable. The nice part about high-end resins is it's practically invisible and make the wood appear in its natural state.
Picture: Bentwood Ring Picture: Wood Inlay Ring
The Definition Of Bentwood Rings
The Definition Of A Bentwood Ring: A bentwood ring is a solid wood ring that is crafted by soaking thin wood strips in water and then slowly wrapping the wood strips around a cylinder while at the same time applying CA glue.
The Durability Of Wood Inlay Rings
It drives me insane how many jewelry websites claim that their wood inlay rings are indestructible because, in reality, they are NOT! However, both bentwood rings and wood inlay rings are durable. Wood inlay rings get their strength from the material that the wood is inlaid in such as ceramic, tungsten, and titanium. Bentwood rings
Bentwood rings get their strength from multiple layers being wrapped around each other. If a solid wood ring was made by just drilling a hole through a piece of wood it would be very brittle. Bentwood rings are not made this way.
Wood inlay rings are durable but there is still a slight chance it could break. In reality, almost any rings can be broken. The force it takes to break a wood inlay ring is equivalent of a 20 Lb sledgehammer being dropped on the ring.
- Are Wood Inlay Rings Waterproof? Yes, wood inlay rings are 100% waterproof.
- Do Wood Inlay Rings Require Maintenance? The only maintenance a wood inlay ring requires is polishing it with a micro cloth.
- Can Wood Inlay Rings Handle Bumps? Yes, if you bump your hand into a hard surface there will be no damage to the ring or the wood. The wood is protected by a thick resin that is meant to withstand everyday wear.
The Durability Of a Bentwood Ring
Bentwood rings are extremely durable. The wood is soaked in water and then wrapped several times around a cylinder. A special bonding agent is then applied to the ring. The bonding agent helps preserve the wood and adds a great amount of strength to the ring.
- Are Bentwood Rings Waterproof? No, they are only high water resistance. Some people do leave their rings on while swimming and see no harm done to the ring.
- Do Bentwood Rings Require Maintenance? Yes, most companies recommend you send your bentwood ring in so they can polish it up by adding more bonding agent.
- Can Bentwood Rings Handle Bumps? Yes, most bentwood rings can handle bumps. It also depends on what type of wood it is. Some types of wood are harder than others. Most Knicks can also be repaired.